How to Combat Hidden Sugars
This entry was posted on December 7, 2016.
Sick and tired of the 3pm sugar slump? Take back control of your energy- we have you covered with tips on decoding and uncovering the sugar hidden in your favourite snacks!
- How to Expose Disguised Sugars
Sugar comes in many tricky forms. Learn to recognize ingredients under different names, but have the same impact on your health as sugar.
• Ingredients ending in “ose” or with the word “syrup"
• Natural sweeteners such as agave nectar, rice syrup, and honey aren’t much better—our bodies can’t tell the difference between natural and processed sugars!
2. Always read the ingredients list!
Ingredients are listed in descending order by weight—meaning the first ingredient makes up more of the product than the second, and so-forth.
Watch out for long lists that list sugar or disguised sugars in the first 5 ingredients.
3. What Nutrition Facts to Look Out For
Look at the Protein. Is there more protein than sugar? Protein helps to fill us up and keep us full, so choose a snack that has a substantial amount of protein.
Look at the Fiber to Sugar Ratio. Good, whole foods have less or equal sugar to fiber—a 1:1 ratio. Unfortunately, the average American consumes closer to 12:1 sugar to fiber in their food every single day.